Why Swiss Diamond
Swiss Diamond is Amazing
Swiss Diamond is dedicated to empowering the home chef by manufacturing the highest quality nonstick cookware in the world from our factory in Sierre, Switzerland. We believe cooking at home should be convenient and healthy - so we use cast aluminum and reinforce our nonstick coating with real diamond crystals.
Simply the Best
- Gold Medal Winner - International Exhibition of Inventions
- Best Nonstick Cookware - leading U.S. consumer reporting organization
- The Rolls-Royce of Nonstick Fry Pans - Wall Street Journal
- Recommended for vegan and vegetarian cooking - American Vegetarian Association
- Recommended - Cooking Club of America
Why Do We Use Diamonds?
Swiss Diamond cookware uses a revolutionary nonstick coating made with diamonds. The coating of each Swiss Diamond pan contains up to 240,000 real diamond crystals for a long-lasting non stick surface. We like to consider diamonds a chef’s best friend. Why?
- Diamonds are durable - As the hardest material known to man, diamonds lend the coating additional strength and longevity.
- Diamonds are a better heat conductor than metal - Four times more conductive than copper, diamonds help distribute heat evenly across the surface of the pan. Diamonds also allow the pan to brown food like stainless steel, creating a “fond” that can be used for gravy - or easily washed away with warm soapy water.
- Diamonds are naturally nonstick - One of the most valuable properties of diamonds is that they have intrinsic nonstick properties, unlike titanium reinforcement. This gives the coating outstanding nonstick release properties.
INVENTION OF THE COATING The idea for the diamond-reinforced coating originated in the labs of HORT Coating Center, a Swiss company founded in 1974. HORT specializes in the development of customized coating technologies that are used in various industries, including electrical engineering, chemical, watch-making, medical and aerospace. It is also the exclusive manufacturing center of Swiss Diamond cookware. In the 1990’s, the increased demand for premium cookware set in motion the research and development of an advanced nonstick coating. HORT Coating Center began searching for ways to improve their existing titanium-reinforced coating. Finely ground titanium was considered the best choice for reinforcing a nonstick coating at that time. However, HORT realized that a different reinforcement material would bring additional advantages. The main criteria for improvement were extreme hardness and excellent thermal conductivity, which led straight to diamonds. After 2 years of preliminary testing to determine the best formulation and application process, the Swiss Diamond coating was released. The patented Swiss Diamond coating not only boasts genuine diamond crystals but also nonstick components of high quality. The coating was honored with the first prize at the International Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1999.
PRODUCTION PROCESS First, both the diamond powder and the custom nonstick components are delivered to the Swiss Diamond factory in Sierre, Switzerland. The diamonds originate from reputable European sources, subject to all international regulations, and are explicitly found in conflict-free zones. All components of the nonstick composite adhere to strict European health and safety regulations. Next, the finely ground diamond particles are combined with high-quality nonstick components in a specialized mixing room at the factory. The diamond-reinforced coating is then applied to the cookware using a patented process developed by HORT Coating Center AG. Each piece of cookware receives three layers of nonstick coating, ensuring longevity and helping it resist damage. After the coating is cured, the products receive finishing touches and are packed into boxes. They are shipped to gourmet stores around the world. The Swiss Diamond coating is recognized all over the globe for its long-lasting quality, excellent heat conduction and superior nonstick performance. Chefs worldwide agree, “Diamonds are a chef’s best friend!”
For more information about what makes Swiss Diamond different, see our FAQs Page. To find your nearest retailer, check out our Local Retailers Page.